Typing Master – A tutor to optimize your typing performance
Typing Master is a typing tutor for Windows to help develop your speed and accuracy. It targets individuals, schools and companies and is best for beginners and intermediates alike. In this post we review the free version Typing Master 10 and Typing Master Pro for schools and businesses.
Both versions offer a comprehensive course and lessons to teach you the 10-finger system and include a widget to analyze and optimize your learning progress. This popular touch typing software also combines typing tests, games and smart reviews to produce tangible results and a good learning experience.
Typing Master – Overview
Typing Master comes with multiple features and aims at doubling your typing speed. Below is a highlight of features that this product offers.
- Customized exercises, more than 10 hours of content
- Step by step approach to professional keyboarding
- Train difficult words and keys
- Vision based learning
- Detailed and customized review of the performance
- Skill tests to monitor progress
- Games to have all the fun while learning
- Typing Meter to measure and analyze typing habits
- Typing analysis widget
Typing Master 10 – Main Features
The features described below will refer to both versions, however, the wording is a bit focused on version 10 as it targets individual learners. There will be a specific section on the Pro edition for schools afterwards.
1. 10 hours of interactive exercises
The aim of this feature is to guide users and allow them practicing at various levels. The customized exercises ensure that the learning is done based on practice and not just theory. Train difficult words or practice capitals and tricky keys. Typing Master will also suggest certain exercises based on the stats it receive through its monitoring tool.
2. Step-by-step approach
Special care has been taken to ensure that students will learn to type fast in the most effective way. Users will be taught effective and quick typing by breaking down the whole process into smaller steps. This increases the learning process and makes it more effective. New keys will be introduced desperately followed by step-by-step drills to master them fluently.
3. Vision Based Learning
Typing Master 10 comes with a color coded scheme present on the screen which is convenient and helpful. Research has proven that visual learning is far more effective, quick and preferred over other types of learning.
4. Customized performance reviews
Typing Master will identify your weak areas, display them for further review and show you the areas that need improvement. These recommendations can refer to intensively practicing on the home or top row or simply improving accuracy.
5. Typing tests to monitor your progress
The skill tests are a great way of measuring your progress and actually see the outcomes in a more quantified format. This is an extremely effective tool to show you where you stand and which progress you have made so far. You can run tests for up to 30 minutes, get detailed results and print a certificate afterwards.
6. Games to have all the fun while learning
Multiple games enhance the learning experience and incorporate the element of fun while progressing. Everyone knows, that games can engage the user way better than basic tutorials. To progress further – simply try one of the built-in typing games and see how you go. However, don’t expect miracles in regards to graphics or complexity.
7. Typing Analysis Widget
TM10 introduces a new feature, the Typing Meter, which will measure all your activities and habits on the background. The statistics are basic but will point out which keys and words are problematic to type. You will then get a few individual suggestions to eliminate those weaknesses during the duration of the course.
Typing Master 10 – Pros, Cons and Benefits
Every product has pros and cons and this product is not different from others on the market. People have developed their very own opinion on it, all based on their own learning experience. The product mostly gets positive reviews and it has been rated as valued by its users.
Typing Master does not contain any unnecessary frills and is yet packed with all the features of a good touch typing program. There are a variety of features in Typing Master that help increasing the learning speed and efficiency. It delivers all the essential requirements for touch typing along with some advanced features such as the TypingMeter widget.
Pros – Considering the pros, users find the software to be very clear and easy to follow. Moreover, there are various games to enhance the user experience. One of the more important pros of Typing Master 10 is its ability to highlight the problem areas and enabling the user to fix them. Other pros include the free download option, a simple but smooth interface and its goal for quick learning results.
Cons – Looking at the downsides, it should be noted that some users reported bugs in the software. You may also not create own lessons or use complex vocabulary databases that are related to areas such as medicine or law. Keep in mind, this tutor is designed for Windows PCs, needs to be locally installed and does not run on Mac or Linux systems.
Interface – The interface for Typing Master is certainly clean but somehow obsolete and outdated. Moreover customer reviews say that the cursor seems very slow for people who already know how to type fast. It may also underscore the word being typed sometimes.
Advertising – Free software often comes with advertising solutions. Be aware that this software is no exception and might show you ads every then and now. We recommend to read the developer’s end-user license user agreement on this matter.
Typing Master 10 – Alternative Options
Typing Master 10 is certainly an interesting program and even comes for free. However, eLearning software is now mostly cloud based and accessible on all systems. The following tutors are excellent alternatives here and worth to check out if you rather want to go for a premium solution.
Alternatives – Comparing it with the other software, it does well on pinpointing weakness areas of its users. However, professional tutors such as Typesy or Mavis Beacon come with advanced monitoring as well allowing to clearly identify the spots you should progress on. It therefore doesn’t offer a unique selling point, but its various features are worth to consider the program, particularly when budget is tight. Other products include Ultrakey, KAZ and Typing Instructor.
Accessibility – Furthermore, most tutors now have moved on to the cloud and provide synchronization between different devices. Accessibility is probably one of the biggest downsides as Typing Master is available for Windows only, and unfortunately cannot be accessed through browsers on Mac or Linux systems.
Typing Master Pro – Tutor for Schools and Companies
Typing Master Pro is an effective and popular tutor for schools and business alike. It features the same benefits as version 10, however, it also offers network enabled management, reporting and teacher tools to run entire typing classes. For each student or participant study data, results and test scores can be calculated and converted into customized exercises and training.
Typing Master Pro – Core Features
- The study material is versatile and designed to suit the needs of all learning levels. Five comprehensive courses cover the entire keyboard including the numeric keypad and special marks. The focus is on increasing typing speed and accuracy.
- The exercises are varied to keep users encouraged. There are visual keyboard drills, games, timed texts as well as dynamic reviews.
- Users can follow their progress too and keep track of what they are learning. Constant feedback will be given pointing out problem areas and providing further learning tips.
- Professionally timed tests are available and a detailed report will be generated with the student’s results.
- Stats will be provided in a graphical form allowing to follow your progress over a period of time.
Typing Master Pro – Optimal and Accelerated Learning
The concept of Optimal Learning is a core feature of Pro and includes a host of features that accelerate learning. The features of optimal learning are:
1. Optimized Duration: Typing Master Pro monitors the user’s progress in real time and can customize the drills to enable you to finish it in a shorter time. If it recognizes problems, you will be assigned more practices. This way, each user gets time and practice based on the personal learning needs of the individual.
2. Smart Review: Typing Master Pro and version 10 also analyses your progress with each and every key and displays the information through a graph. In case a key is especially difficult to master for a user, it will assign extra practice and specially tailored exercise for that particular key. You can also review any key that you find difficult at any point of time during the exercise.
3. Typing Master Satellite: This is a unique tool with which you can hone your typing skills after the exercises. Once you launch Typing Master satellite, it will integrate the training into your daily work. Your typing performance in other programs is monitored each day and the result is analyzed to determine which keys you are having problems with. Then customized exercises are designed that focus on improving your problem areas.
4. Bite Size Exercises: Typing Master understands that your schedule may be too busy and the exercises are designed in such a way that it can fit into the tightest schedule. Even if you can spare ten minutes, you’ll be able to complete at least one exercise.
Typing Master – Pricing
While version 10 is free, the Pro edition comes with a price tag depending on how many workstations you wish to have the software installed on. Keep in mind this only possible for windows systems. If you look for solutions running on all systems including mobile devices we would rather recommend to test KAZ.
- 5 workstations: $159 USD
- 10 workstations: $259
- 20 workstations: $399
- 30 workstations: $479
- 50 workstations: $619
- 100 workstations: $849
- 200 workstations: $1,420
- 250 workstations: $1,690
*Note: Prices may vary or might have changed.
Typing Master – Review Verdict
Touch Typing is a great technique, which helps in using the keyboard more efficiently and with greater speed. Knowing how to touch type is essential, no matter what field you are from. Hence, it’s worth to spend some effort into finding the right tutor that suits your needs, job requirements or learning type.
Typing Master 10 (view download page) might be suited for the people who wish to double their typing speed, but don’t need a professional course with tutorials, videos or detailed instructions. It offers good features such as the analysis widget which aid in pinpointing your weak areas and allowing you to improve at multiple levels. All the features aim to complement each other to achieve an increased typing performance.
Typing Master Pro is a suitable for solution for organizations that need to set up whole classes. It will lead students and employees step-by-step to better typing skills. A large number of activities such as drills, games and tests are aimed to keep the learner engaged and motivated. However, we recommend to consider other solutions too that might provide a more economic solution and better accessibility for mobile devices.
In a nutshell, if you are looking for an economic and a reasonable improvement in your typing speed you may want to check it out or give it a try before buying other software. The results are guaranteed and the user reviews are a valid proof of this software’s authenticity and reliability.
Novice and intermediate level users will find this application very useful. But, if you are already competent and just wish to brush up your skills, you’ll be able to find better programs out there.
Have you used any edition of Typing Master? Please comment below and share your opinion and experience.